SPS - Activities & Events for the month of March 2017
Happy March SPS Community,
March begins that time of year when we start prepping for and focusing on the many different assessments we have scheduled towards the end of the school year. There are a number of ways that you can help prepare your student as well for this time of the school year. Some of these strategies include:
- Assisting your child with homework and ensuring that your child is completing all homework assignments.
- Helping your child develop good study habits, thinking skills, and a positive attitude towards education from an early age.
- Ensuring that your child has good attendance at school.
- Staying in communication with your child's teacher.
- Encouraging your child to read as much as possible, and to increase their vocabulary - even reading magazines, newspapers, and comic books regularly will help improve their reading skills.
- Looking for educational games and programs that engage your child.
- Helping your child learn how to follow directions carefully.
Finally, remember that standardized tests and grading systems are not perfect; each format has its own limitations. As you help your child do his or her best on the tests they take and in all of their schoolwork, also remind them that testing is just one part of their education. With your support and involvement, they will be well on their way to their own bright future!
Upcoming Events & Activities:
- 2nd Grade: POW TIDE Writing Showcase & Training- On Friday, March 3rd, our 2nd graders will be hosting a writing showcase and parent training from 12:30pm-1:30pm. This parent event will promote understanding of the POW TIDE writing resource. Students will showcase their writing from their biography timelines and will share information for their parents.
- Rutherford County SRO Rodeo - The SPS CDC classroom will be going on a field trip to the Miller Coliseum in Murfreesboro on Friday, March 3rd for the SRO Rodeo. The SRO Rodeo benefits a special day for special needs students in grades K-12. The rodeo also helps to sponsor SRO programs such as Archery, Distracted Driving, Red Ribbon Week, and others.
- WIDA ACCESS Testing- WIDA ACCESS is a secure large-scale English language proficiency assessment given annually to Kindergarten through 12th graders who have been identified as English language learners (ELLs). The testing window for SPS ESL students is from March 6th-24th.
- PVG Meeting- The Parent Volunteer Group will be meeting on Wednesday, March 8thfrom 3:00 pm-4:00 pm, in the SPS Library to go over the budget, upcoming PBIS Rewards/Awards, Teacher Appreciation, and other events and activities. The meeting is open for any and all to attend. If you bring your student, please just bring something for them to work on as well.
- Early Dismissal- All students will be dismissed at 10:45am on Thursday, March 9th for an early dismissal day. Please make sure you have arranged childcare on this day if necessary.
- 1st Grade: Nonfiction Writing and Penguins with Pops- This parent event on Friday, March 10th at 12:30pm is a celebration at the end of a close reading unit on Penguins. Male role models are invited because of the role the male penguins play in the lives of baby chicks. Students will read books and share their nonfiction writing about penguins with those in attendance.
- Spring Book Fair- Make sure to mark your calendars for the Spring Book Fair! The book fair this semester is scheduled for March 13th-17th! More information will be coming home soon!
- Spring Planning Meeting- On Tuesday, March 14th from 7:30am-9:30am, the Title I faculty will host their Spring Planning meeting for Parents, Teachers, Faculty, Staff, and Smyrna Community Members are invited to attend. This meeting is to celebrate Smyrna Primary School's successes of the year, share how our Title I funds were spent this year, and begin planning for next year. We really value our parents' input so we want as many as possible to attend. We will serve a light breakfast from 7:30-8:00am in room 304 then we will move to the library to start our meeting at 8:00. The meeting should conclude by 9:30am.
- NEHS Monthly Meeting- The National Elementary Honor Society will be having their monthly meeting on Wednesday, March 15th. During this meeting we will be watching a movie that the students did a book review on last semester. The pick-up time will be changed to accommodate. For this meeting only, please plan on picking your student up at 4:30pm.
- 3rd – 5th grades Writing Parent Academy- All 3rd-5th Grade parents are invited to attend on Thursday, March 16th from 1:00pm-2:00pm a Writing Parent Academy in the SPS Library. This event will explain the importance of writing and the strategies we are using at school to plan and implement our writing. Parents will be able to see the children's work based on the POW+TIDE organizer they used to organize their biography research and write a report.
- Special Area Night - On Thursday, March 16th, we ask that all our SPS Families join us to celebrate the Special Areas. From 4:00pm-6:00pm, each Special Area teacher has set up different stations throughout the building to show our parents and students different activities that they can do together as a family. It is one of the most enjoyable family nights of the year. Snacks and drinks will be provided.
- SPS 3rd 9 Weeks Awards Ceremony- We will be doing our award programs on Friday, March 17th. Each grade level will have their own awards program during their special area time. We felt like the individual grade level awards programs went very well and after reviewing feedback from teachers and parents, we will keep the new set-up. The following will be the schedule:
- 5th Grade - 9:00am
- 4th Grade - 9:45am
- 3rd Grade - 10:30am
- Kindergarten - 12:00pm
- 1st Grade - 12:50pm
- 2nd Grade - 1:35pm
- Parent Teacher Conferences – Be on the lookout for information regarding Parent/Teacher conferences coming up on Tuesday, March 21st. Many teachers will meet anytime this week if you are unable to meet on Tuesday. Contact your child’s homeroom teacher to schedule.
- 4th Grade Field Trip - All fourth grade students will be going to the Adventure Science Center on Wednesday, March 22nd.
- 3rd 9 Weeks Perfect Attendance Award – All students that had perfect attendance for the 3rd 9 weeks, including no tardies, will get to go outside and fly kites during the afternoon of Thursday, March 23rd.
- I Am UnAfraid 3rd-5th Grades Assembly - I AM UNAFRAID is an anti-bullying assembly that will be held on Friday, March 24th at 9:00am for all of 3rd, 4th, and 5th grades. It is backed by 36 years of experience and over 13 years of specific bullying research that suggests student empowerment is one of the most successful ways to reduce bullying among elementary and middle school students. The program is cleverly designed to educate and equip students, parents, and educators with a research-based, four-point strategy. I AM UNAFRAID is reporting an average 50% reduction in bullying behavior.
- Spring Break – All Rutherford County Schools will be closed for Spring Break March 27th – 31st.
All parents are welcome to join in on all the activities and events we have in our building. If at any time you would like to volunteer to help at an event or for an activity, please stop by.
Thank you so much for all that you do,